- The Windows Camera app is a small piece of software that lets you quickly take photos or record videos using your external webcam or your device’s built-in camera.
- If the Camera app won’t open even after a system restart, make sure you have full control over the Camera Roll folder and update your device drivers.
- Find out below how to change your settings and regain access to your camera in a few quick and easy steps.
- We also give our advice on the best third-party tools that will help you fix this type of error faster and with less effort on your part.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE
Laptop cameras are essential devices in our age where online communication gets in the way of our professional, educational and even personal affairs.
But some users reported that they were unable to use the camera after upgrading to Windows 10, apparently it just shows an error and stops working.
So we will try to help anyone who is facing this problem, with some solutions that might work.
Why is my laptop camera not working?
There are several fundamental issues that can cause your laptop camera to malfunction or not work at all on your Windows 10 laptop.
If your camera shuts down immediately, it could be a sign that your device drivers are corrupt or outdated. Or, you may have mistakenly changed the permissions of your Camera Roll folder or Camera app.
If you don’t have full access to Camera Roll, you may experience issues like the camera app crashing or crashing. Luckily, these issues are pretty easy to fix, as you’ll see in the guide below.
Please note that in addition to these software issues, your camera may also not work due to hardware issues. To overcome them, you will need to contact your manufacturer and get a professional solution.
How can I fix my Camera app not working?
Case 1 – Regain full access to the Camera Roll folder
- To open File Explorer and go to Pictures
- In the Pictures folder, right-click on the Camera Roll folder and choose Properties
- Go to Security tongue
- Choose your username, which is listed under Group or user names:
- Click on Change permissions and check Total control
- Click on OKAY
Even in the Tech Preview, and apparently still after the full version was released, some people complained that for some reason they lost full access to the Camera Roll folder in Pictures.
Since the Camera Roll folder and Microsoft’s camera app are connected, you won’t be able to use the camera (because it won’t be able to save your photos and recordings to the Camera Roll folder), if you don’t have full access to this file.
So, to be able to use your camera again, follow these steps to regain access to your Camera Roll folder.
In most cases, this will fix the problem, but if not, try the following solutions.
Case 2 – Change camera app privacy settings
- Go to The start menu and open Settings
- Go to Privacy
- Go to Camera and activate Allow apps to use my camera if not enabled
This problem can also appear if your camera is disabled in the privacy settings. You need to make sure your camera is enabled and can connect to apps on your PC.
So, if the camera is not enabled in the Privacy section of the Settings app, an error may appear every time you try to take a photo or record a video.
After enabling it, it should work smoothly and start immediately when you try to record or take a photo. It should also open from third-party apps.
Case 3 – Update your device drivers
- Go to Start. Find and click Manage devicer.
- Expand the Cameras Category.
- Right click on the device and select Update.
- Reconnect your device if necessary or perform a restart.
For your system to work properly, your drivers must be up to date. If none of the solutions mentioned above work, you need to check and update your camera driver.
Without a driver, a computer cannot handle video cards, camera software, sound cards, or other peripherals. You can update your camera driver using the built-in device manager:
Alternatively, you can use a dedicated driver update tool, like Driverfix. This will save you time and automatically update your drivers regularly.
By updating your system’s drivers, this program ensures that it runs smoothly. It also scans your system for outdated or corrupt drivers that are slowing down your system.
This tool will keep your system safe because you can manually download and install the wrong driver version. This tool will find just the right firmware to install.
⇒ Get DriverFix
If you have other Windows 10 issues, you can find the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
Check out the Windows 10 Error Hub for articles on other issues you might encounter while using the computer.
We have lots of great content with software recommendations, guides and fixes in our webcam section.
If you’re already on the latest version of the operating system and need help fixing this problem, check out our guide on how to fix a webcam that’s not working in Windows 11.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are 5 comments